"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature." -Helen Keller

Monday, September 27, 2010

Excerpt from a story


This is a piece of dialogue from a story that I'm planning to start writing, but haven't yet...except for this! It's a fanfiction for the TV show "Unnatural History".

“I don’t mean to go all Velma on you here, Henry, but I can’t see anything. We really need to find my glasses.” Leila said, as she leaned closer to him and squinted her eyes in order to see his expression. Henry stared back blankly.
“Velma who?” He asked confusedly.
“Velma. You know, from Scooby-Doo?”
“Ummm….?” He shrugged.
“The cartoon about the four kids who solve mysteries, and the talking dog? Ruh-Roh, Renry!” Leila did her best Scooby impression and waited for Henry’s reaction.
He chuckled. “I still have no idea what you’re talking about.”
Leila gave up all hope of him knowing what Scooby-Doo was and explained: “Velma is this girl on the show who wears glasses, and in just about every episode she loses them at some point and crawls on the floor – much like we’re doing know – and says ‘Oh no! My glasses! I can’t see a thing without my glasses!’” Leila paused for a breath and finished. “She’s also really smart and wears some killer knee-socks, but that’s beside the point.”
Henry raised his eyebrows in amusement. “I see. So you really can’t see anything?”
 Leila shook her head. “I’m blind as a bat.”
“How many fingers am I holding up?” He lifted his hand.
Leila squinted towards him again. “I’d say anywhere from seven to fourteen.”
“I’m only holding up one hand.”
“Yup.”
Henry shook his head, and the two went back to searching. Leila slid her fingers across the floor, feeling around for her black frames. Half a minute later, Henry spotted them underneath a chestnut desk pushed against the wall.
“Got them!” He said as he reached under and pulled them out. He blew off a dust bunny and handed them back to Leila, who hurriedly put them on her face.
“Yes, I can see again!” She said, her hazel eyes focusing on Henry through the rectangular frames. “Thanks, Henry.”
“No problem, but I think we should get out of here. The museum closes in…” He checked his watch. “Thirty seconds ago.”
“Oh jeeze, do you think we’re stuck in here again?” Leila’s eyes widened with apprehension at the thought of being trapped inside the museum.
“No, Maggie said the Board did away with all the fancy technology after that computer almost got stolen,” Henry said, as the two made their way through the various exhibits toward the exit. “I think we’ll be able to get a guard to let us out.”
“As long as he doesn’t think we’re stealing anything,” Leila added. “But I’m pretty sure they all know us by now.”

2 comments: