"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature." -Helen Keller

Monday, December 12, 2011

The outside of the museum

Gold funerary mask. I wrote a research paper on Mycenaean burial customs, so I'll get to see what I researched and wrote about!
 Hello, blog readers. It’s been a while.
I’m going on a trip to Greece (!!!) in May with a tour company called EF Tours, let by my online teachers. My history and Latin teachers take groups to Europe annually, and this year I’m fortunate enough to go with them. As preparation I’m checking out different places that I’ll be visiting and getting a more in-depth look at them.
Today I looked at the Archaeological Museum in Athens.
I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!
As someone who wants to be an archaeologist, going to this museum will give me good idea if it’s something I love. I really like museums and history so I’m looking forward to it.
The museum was founded in the late eighteen hundreds to house artifacts and antiquities from all over Greece. It was originally just a place to house said artifacts, but now it’s a nationally renowned museum that people from all over the world come to visit. It has artifacts dating from the prehistoric times until the time of the Roman conquest of Greece.
It has over 11,000 exhibits and six main collections; the Prehistoric Collection, Sculptures Collection, Vase and Minor Objects Collection, Stathatos Collection, Bronze Collection and the Egyptian and Near Eastern Antiquities collection. Out of these, the one I’d most like to see is the Sculpture Collection, because throughout my fist semester of Greek History this year, we studied a lot about how art changed during the different periods, and getting to see the masterpieces in person would be amazing. The Stathatos Collection is interesting too, because it’s a little bit of everything – “minor objects of all periods” is what the website reads. I’d like to see everything, though.
Though we’ll only be spending one day at the Museum, and that is definitely not enough time to see it all, I can’t wait to see whatever it is we see.
There will be more posts to come about other places I’ll be going and things I’ll be seeing.

Story
Artifacts that were found in a shaft grave in Grave Circle A

Add caption

No comments:

Post a Comment